Veterans Memorial Scholarship
The Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists Foundation in 2016 will grant two awards of as much as $5,000 each, to graduate students who are veterans or current members of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. The purpose of the awards is to support geologic studies in the Rocky Mountains and to reward excellence in geologic achievement. The scholarship has been supported primarily by World War II veterans who are members of the RMAG.
The following criteria will be used by the RMAG Foundation to select recipients:
- Relevance of the student’s research to Rocky Mountain geology
- Academic achievements
- Economic need
- Faculty recommendations
Applications for the RMAG Foundation Graduate Student Award must include:
- A resume with GPS and GRE information
- A thesis proposal (two pages or less) with financial support and needs listed
- Recommendation letter from appropriate faculty
- Identification of the applicant’s military service branch, dates of service, and role
- Applications must be submitted through the Department head, who will forward them to the Foundation address provided on the application. The Trustees of the Foundation will make the final selection.
Application deadline is January 15, 2016.
A recipient, with a spouse, faculty member, or friend, will be guests of the Foundation at a weekly luncheon meeting of the Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists in the spring of 2016. A short presentation will be made to the recipient during the meeting if he or she can attend. The RMAG Foundation is unable to pay for transportation or accommodation costs to attend the luncheon meeting.
Just for applying to any of the scholarships offered through the RMAG Foundation, all applicants will also receive a free RMAG Membership for the 2016 year (December 1, 2015 - November 30, 2016).